20.1.11

Irrationalities in Friendships

There is a problem with writing girls off as potential girlfriends. I turn girls away when I perceive that they do not share my interests & values. My friend said she gets tired of boyfriends quick. This was a turnoff because I wanted someone who would last. But this is an illegitimate reason to place a girl in the Friend Zone (the Not Dateable material zone) with no chances of being more than a friend. Remember, this is a similar practice to women placing males in the "Brother" category. I hate women who assign me a brother position because I am short and a "nice guy." I will not be a girl's FRIEND knowing the fact that she will only see me as no more than "just a friend" (this is irrational). Classification is unnecessary and unwarranted and I have not nipped it in the bud. It makes me insecure when I call my friend Joe simply "Joe." By calling him Joe, I refer to him as any other person aka a stranger. I feel invalidated around strangers.

2 comments:

Adventuresoftheurbangumshoe said...

Wow this was a very interesting blog post. I like how you analyze yourself. Question is, what will you do as far as dealing with what you feel are negatives?

Ken R said...

For one, I can strip the preconceptions of women by contacting more women in SkOoL and anonymizing them in the process -- I will learn that women are just like men, they are not any more special in a holistic way. By doing this I can learn to appreciate and mold the relationships I should actually care about: my gf, my family, and my close friends. As for my selfishness, I think that I can tackle that by stopping expectations of seeking limelight. Easier said than done but I will try my best to make a shift in highways, or in this case, an expressway