The moment I saw Tiff I remember when we first agreed to meet up by Starbucks. She arrived with her huge sunglasses and her earphones, one earbud spilling from one side of her head. Before I left my house I decided to bequeath something to Tiff because she has been an awesome friend to me and provided me with inspiration for nearly two years of our friendship. From the first time I met her she was incredibly knowledge/history-saavy, but lately her interests in studying and reading have parted because of lethargy and because of the end of the school year. Besides missing her friends, she is experiencing the same crossroads sentiment that my homegirl felt and still feels currently. Tiff and I share the same life trajectory of being gifted everything in our early life because we hail from only child families. Once Tiff starts her work study her independent status will shakes things up and prompt her to make financial decisions probably more shakier than ones she has dealt with in the past. I decided to give her The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath because that was the earliest novel I let her borrow nearly a year ago. Of our six or seven hangouts in total I remember Tiff's enthusiastic and adventuresome atmosphere. Everytime we walk together we would end up in a fugue; we would blank out and this leads to a silent choreography of being lost. But we end up passing stores of interest and they pique our interest enough to stop and to take a look. If I could tell Tiff how much she means to me in terms of being a young friend to me, it would be blissful but I fear that I will not be returned the same consideration. If her sentimental return of emotions are not convened, I will falsely believe that she appreciates my friendship mostly because she willingly and loosely teases me during our hangouts and we both have a love for Squirrel which she returned to me today because she knows she will not be taking it with her to her dorm room in Boston's Northeastern University. I was glad I brought Tiff to McNally Rand because she found a new book to love and to embark on during her flight to Australia: Shadow of the Wind. We shared three pages together and I recommended that she travel to Strand Bookstore to get a cheaper/used copy. I will always remember Tiff as a zesty companion with an outspoken aura.
Walking Union Square and Astor Place with Daisy presented only the shell of city life to her. We saw a small fight unfold and belong long Daisy had dashed up the steps about twenty feet away while I watched the scene unfold a feet away from me. For some reason the aggression in these two men attracted me to their trading of hatred; for some reason I believe that their hormones of aggression triggered my interest. I suppose men will be fighting beasts to the very end.
NYU and the inner lattices of the KMart building will always be my gateway to Felicity which was set around NYU grounds. Whenever I wander 8 Street and Washington Square Park I can't divorce the area from episodes of Felicity especially scenes in the dorm room with Ben and the R.A. I lived my dorm experience vicariously through the characters. Being in Washington Square Park is not entirely a fun experience mostly because the seating arrangement of the benches are way too dispersed and there is too much separation between parkgoers. It doesn't allow for even semi-congregation. It is incredibly spacious without a doubt but it doesn't promote accessibility to strangers; I want to chat up strangers but I would have to physically move myself to their bench or their spot on the fountain, otherwise I have no choice but to raise my voice and sound intimidating. The park has gone through several years of renovations and the bathrooms have not gotten any better (most NYC public parks are disgusting and filthy!). I sympathize with NYU students who have to frequent the park's bathrooms. But for those who have called it home it is probably like Hunter College subway station. Someone can say that the subway station is congested and uncomfortable, but for someone who has spent four solid years in Hunter and has used its station almost everyday to get home, I would consider the station a safe haven especially during thunderous weather or winter storms and sneaky rain attacks.
Walking the streets of SoHo disappoint mostly because after making several circles I find the same spots and I come upon the same merchandise and I realize that I am unable to afford most of the clothing and bags. I also remind myself that my guilty pleasure involves indulging myself in luxury clothing and bags; for a month I have stopped purchasing goods from J.Crew. I dutifully hope that this stint away from fashion will help me save money and purchase a camera which is another outlet for my expression. Getting new photographic gear will help me more than draping fabric on my body.
No comments:
Post a Comment