6.7.12

Reflecting on Four Years

Four years have gone by so quick. It was just yesterday that I entered Hunter College and acquainted my first friend Andrea, a Spanish chick with curly locks that ebbed against her easygoing smile. For the longest time during freshmen seminar I was her go-to buddy. And in English Seminar we would email and call each other about writing assignments that we would later receive Bs and B+s for. It wasn't until the end of my first year that I realized that these friendships would only disappear with the fragmentation of our classes and our majors began to take shape mostly during junior year. It became clear who would become stellar students and who would transfer into other colleges to pursue bigger and better rubies. Later in my first semester I fell for Camille, a Bohemian classmate who sat adjacent me in art history class with Professor Sam Sadow. I wanted to ak her to the Metropolitan Museum with me but I ended up going with the trio Martin, Lydia, and Annie. Lydia and Martin used to be close for they began the same way I did: as classmates searching for homework and clues to the first exam. Annie was the timid, quiet anime girl who was cautious and attentive. As for the first girl I met in Hunter, Maya, she was frail and Asian and incredibly timid, she disappeared without a trace. It seemed that she was more closed than other for reasons I will never access. After graduation my friendships during my last semester was exorcised as well, cleansed. Though I hold my cabbie friend Shawn close to me because he is an interesting guy, I continue to question how much my other so-called friends miss me. Given that they have my number I wonder sometimes why they haven't texted me. Have they never gotten around to texting me? But instead of waiting around why don't I text them? For the four years at Hunter I have to admit that people come and go like shoppers at a mall. The Asian girls in my freshmen year disappeared like ash on a brimstone picked up by wind, and the Filipino clique on the bridge near dissolved. People looked to separate directions, ties were put on, uniforms were dressed, and for others, moving to a different state solved their woes. Whatever floats their boat.
Things happen for a reason and I like to believe this. Two people were put in the same spot to either have a trial period for each other or have a trial against each other. Two people were meant to be on the same bus for either good or bad reasons. However this doesn't explain serendipity or coincidences easily. For one, serendipity occurs when someone is looking for something but then something else appears that they didn't expect it but they hit two birds with one stone. Then you have coincidences which put the perspective that things happen for a reason on its head. If you subscribe to the belief that things happen for a reason then it is not a coincidence, because coincidences entail that you believe it was merely a happening at the same time which is what a coincidence is. To say that something is a coincidence isn't necessarily the same as happen for a reason. Happen for a reason is more meaningful because it adds more value to the situation and it injects more significance to the scope of the situation. So things do happen for a reason. My slow detachment from Martin and his girlfriend Jessica happened for a reason. I remember how much Jessica helped me through phone calls last year and she held my hope high, but now we don't speak anymore. I wonder if she wonders whether I took her for granted or not. I doubt it is that important to her because she has moved on. As for the math teacher and secret pianist Jemn, she disappeared for good two years ago. We found each other at the height of junior year but we slipped away because of her tumultous life and I am sure that later she realized that I crushed on her so she pulled away slowly and retracted from my threshold. Things happen for a reason, or at least I like to think they do. To think this gives me a reason to believe that things happen the way they do and I can accept it because there is a grand plan set somewhere and that things were meant to be if they are, and they are not if they do not turn out the way I want them to.

No comments: