15.8.12

Before I Sleep

Summer 2012 is hazy, slurred, "short," melodramatic (as always), and ongoing. Julianna characterized summer as short, for it does feel short. Even though summer is not yet over, it feels like the months have passed right by like a jolt of lightning to a weather vane. With only three days of torrential rain, summer's humidity has been relentless. As of tonight I feel incredibly stifled that my sister Joyce is having problems with her current boyfriend. I am vexed that her problem continues to fester and old wounds have not healed. I hope that by visiting her in a few hours I can ameliorate her pain and she can find an escape route (I'm definitely dramatizing her situation). I want to allay her of her worries and muster her courage to find another person fit for her. I haven't seen my sister in almost a year or two. The last time we met was near Sethlow Park with her friend Margarita who disappeared off the face of the earth. This summer has been incredibly hazy because I am starting to lose my brain cells. Memories have atrophied and I am faulting myself for not filling my journal with written memories. I want to recollect and collect and sew hems of these unfinished memories straining in my head, but I can't muster the effort to open my journal and write in it. Even scrawl in it. Nothing. Nada.

After watching the first episode of the first season of Breaking Bad, I admit that I am very late. I fell in love with the very beginning of the show and how they run backwards in time, three days earlier. Though this is not equivalent to real time, three days heightens the viewers' conception of time and draws them closer to the original starting point, instead of one week earlier or a month earlier which would only create a lapse of disinterest or bewilderment. Bryan Cranston beautifully portrays a down-on-his-luck chemistry teacher who receives diagnosis of terminal lung cancer. To support his family he collaborates with a former student who cooks meth. Talk about intense generational gap and indifference between the two unlikely pairs. This extreme opposition in character choice is what buffs this show as unique, daring, risky, and audacious. The storyline itself is daring enough to provoke occasional grins and startling wit. I took advantage of Julianna's Netflix account and digested the first episode. I was immensely satisfied with Bryan's superb acting and the cinematography of the show.

I'm surfing Craigslist and wondering if I should catch some sleep.

A night after Samantha posted her nervousness on Facebook she got offered the job at Chobani Yogurt, a different pace than her small ex-salad store. Group interviews are nerve-wracking because they are poisedly competitive. I assume it was similar to Uniqlo's interviews that Martin and Leona passed. It has been a while since I saw Samantha, who asked me to drop her title of Miss directress because she no longer directs. By calling her that it would allude to her deficiency as a filmmaker which she had extinct time to pursue ever since the semester ended. My earliest, fondest memories of Samantha includes both our film shoots for Campus Movie Fest, our meetup in Fort Hamilton Parkway park to last-minute edit, and our rendezvous in Hunter. The fondest memory of boy-saving-girl in my conception was when we forgot to remove her flash drive from the cafeteria computer. I scrambled to phone Lucinda and she retrieved it. Later that night I met up with Samantha who thanked me a ton because her Adobe Photoshop and Flash assignments were on the drive. In addition to verbally thanking me she brought me some leftovers from her job (before they closed). That act was so sweet of her. Though I cannot say that I am close with Samantha anymore, I would like to say that we have been parted by time. Unavailable time that is.

No comments: