28.12.11

Television Blitz

Watching the nightly news keeps me attuned to society, whatever society is and whatever this so-called world will turn out to be. Whatever better "world" that we pray for, it sure isn't tangible because the world that we most preoccupy ourselves with is the world we sleepwalk in every day of our miserable lives. I will reduce the pathetic self-abasing comments because I don't want to put myself down and I don't want to reduce life to a machine dispensing limited free will. The philosopher Jean Paul Sartre holds truth: we have indivisible free will to call our own shots. However these shots are shaped by our situation (how much wealth we own, where we live, the social capital we have accumulated). So we are restrained in one way or another. Or we are pre-restrained to future inadequacies of the mind and the body. I have stopped watching television because my small television has died on me. I have grown increasingly lazy and I do not want to venture into the living room and watch television. Moreover, I do not want to fight over the television set with my Dad who lounges to soap operas and dating shows during prime time hours.

No comments: