I was once a social climber in High SkOoL where cliquedom were the threads and sinews of social network demonstrated by the rise of Sconex, Xanga, and ubiquitous Myspace. Social climbers are well aware of their incessant, gratuitous ploys for attention and their undying tactics that garner attention from anyone, anywhere, anytime. Attention whores who know other public figures or clique leaders to bridge them with other social figures. This spawns their popularity and complexifies their web of contacts to infintessimal amount of lyfelines that prove either weak or relatively strong when they need their backs defended.
A social climber is overwhelmed by the need to attain status and popularity despite losing what may be more important to them, their real and undeniable friends. These persons act out obsequious behavior in order to captivate other social climbers who have the same feathers and flock together. I matured out of this stage enough to find self respect and individuality not contingent and reliant on cliques or group dynamics to establish my self worth and hardlined identity.
I remember being in the Dyker Heights Guidance Counselor's office. I would always present a maze of lyrics (at least 10 to 15 pages of printed looseleaf paper, strange I know) to Mrs DeSantis. She was a 30 year old woman who had affection for me and cared enough to spot suicidal lyrics, something with a gun and loaded intentions, in my songs. She said she stored these songs away. However there was Mrs. DeAngelis who was incredibly hawt and appealing. She had such sympathy and care for me that I always flocked to her for her sweet smile and tantalizing comfort in her voice and advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment