12.4.12

Smiling Facades

I'm beginning to wonder if people search up my website? I assume they cannot because I do not list this personal site on my Resume or even Facebook. But if you do a Google search on me, you will find my website in its glory, proudly displaying names of people past and present. I sometimes fear that jobs and employment will hunt for information about me. But if they did, they wouldn't exhaust their energy to Google me; I expect them to secretly hire an independent company to ransack my virtual footsteps and my internet life. They can scan my Facebook pictures (ones that are saved to Google's search via its crawling spiders), they can search my address, they can read my listed interests. I fear that they will fish out my art images of gores, guts, skin. Maybe they will misconstrue me for being a sexual being or someone who has intention to blow stuff up. The hailed question a few years ago was "How much is enough?" To make matters worse, some people post their daunting pictures of alcoholic trysts and sexual escapades online. I embrace the motto "Better safe than sorry." It's true! If you don't post anything anyline you abstain from being suspect to certain things. You cut off all risks of being termed a low-life and a social deviant if you don't put undesirable pictures. And what is undesirable is purely common sense to your wise scope.

It's interesting how a Google search will evidence all the websites that I have accounts with: Blogger, Myspace, Xanga, Wordpress, Twitter, Facebook, Campus Movie Fest, Tripod, Hunter College media site. But upon closer inspection, my media site from my media160 class is actually straightlinked to my Blogspot. If the current professor shows off my site and some people click on it or favorite it, I will be toast! Clearly the answer to how much is too much is common sense. Be aware of the predatory traffic on the internet who host your information and take what you type and permanently store it in a repository and may even use it against you in the future. There are consequences to your actions even online, as far as what you post!

I handed in an application form to J.Crew and a Resume-Cover Letter to McNally Jackson bookstore. I walked into McNally Jackson incredibly pumped from running there, semi-out of breath. I spoke confidently to the dude who worked there. Upon requesting to see the owner Sarah McNally, I believe he was under the impression that I had met her before and was supposed to give her my Resume. I am certain that his impression of me will shift once Sarah tells him that she has never met me before. Sarah might even feel a certain aversion towards me because she has no idea who I am and I am already so audacious to send her, specifically her, a cover letter AND an email. But her email is on the website and their bookstore is public so why think twice about job applications flying in? I am confident that my presence has been known and that the more I frequent the store and the more I chat up the workers the easier it is to garner a full time position there. I spoke to Elisabeth and asked her which of the three jobs I should take up. I was incredibly naive and assumed that I was accepted into all three and I had the gleeful opportunity to choose as if I had full autonomy and freedom in this society. I would choose J.Crew but it does not feed my soul. My soul lies in creating writing and english. I would simply be distanced in a J.Crew position because afterall it is retail. Sometimes I wonder if stores will hire me as a minority simply to showcase/windowdress their selective hiring practices. Perhaps having one Asian in the store displays a sense of multiculturality. Maybe I'm being plain old cynical. But think about the equal employment opportunity clause in the fine print. Clearly this means that corporations can fire you within 30 days to their liking with or without reason. If this isn't ridiculous and firey enough I can't fathom equal employment opportunity and race-blind hiring. To keep a store's image, whatever their image is and whatever values they place on it, corporations will do anything to nip deviant images from their store facade. That is why cleaning women are minority and they come in only after the store is closed, during the late night, graveyard shifts. There is a reason why there is closeted work, draped by a host of things. Disney workers who wear masks are minority and even in such a facade-like place of magic their races are shielded by a very reasonable understanding that their faces are unimportant but rather their motions and ability to make children happy and merry. Ok, maybe I gave an incredibly unrelated example, but it's true that some employments do not care for your race while others really do. But they do not 100% not care about your care. They cannot completely be race-blind. It is clear that Muslim employees and minorities garner Disney character jobs easily but that is because of their race. Their invisibility behind masks allow for their presence to be tolerated. Otherwise, if cleaning ladies were visible throughout Hollister to a large extent, the image of Hollister will be tarnished. There is a reason why invisible labor exists. But they do not exist coincidentally with surface-windowdressed work. They do not coexist with surface-like presentation of corporation or store which has prestige of some sort. Of course this pertains to commercialized culture, not a non-profit organization which derives from multicultural patrons and thrives off of minority's support and vigor.

The deep web is scary; I've did my homework, briefly, on the deep internet. Some people jump on the bandwagon and claim that it's full of terrible stuff like maimed people, prostitutes, pornography, drug-dealing, and hitmen-for-hire. All these claims go unconfirmed except by a few tech-saavy peeps or rather a community of Tech-saavy peeps on Reddit dot com. I've trusted the site and blindly equivocated it with 4Chan, but only later to find out that 4Chan is a rather nasty site that is putrid and vile for many many disconcerting reasons. Reddit users have stated that the deep web is also known as the invisible web which has regenerating codes to keep users' addresses and ID's confidential and undetected. There were screenshots, not sure if fabricated, that illustrate hitmen for hire and disturbing outlets for drugs and women. There was a screenshot of Deep Wiki which accummulated a bunch of sites that have highest hits for bidding on drugs, etc. It was like the underground economy, illustrated online. This disturbs me the most because I thought the internet crawlers like Google and Yahoo would pick up these sites, but apparently the internet is concomitant to a Freudian analysis: the 20 percent we see is online as visible, latent, conscious content while the other percentage is rather unconscious and manifest, hidden. It requires this browser called Tor to be downloaded and then the entry to the deep web is complete. These two steps sound incredibly easy and incredibly resolute. I am worried that this isn't so secret anymore. Maybe if I enter on the school server I can be anonymous and browse to my liking. But I am one hundered percent positive that school servers will not allow me to enter that site let alone download anything onto its expensive machines. But what doesn't kill my server only makes me stronger? Experiencing the deep web for myself might turn me a little "crazy" but on my toes, but all this could be exaggerated by bloggers online who jump on the bandwagon and suggest others not to go on it because their previously over-riding intuitions told them that the deep web is sick and twisted. But clearly for those who have entered the deep web, their responses are rather bridled: Go on it at your own risk and search it to your liking. Curiosity might have killed the cat, but we are not cats.

No comments: