Coffee has been ultimately responsible for my increased heart palpitations and sudden sweats. Not to mention it's my friend when I have to study for big exams. It also keeps me awake when all I want to do is make love to my bed and not face the items in the day.
I used to patronize Starbucks because it embodied upward mobility in the sense that I can afford better, more authentic coffee. If there is some kind of authentic roast, Starbucks epitomized the most authentic of roasts because it pledges the best of flavor and a promising logo because its logo is known world-wide. I felt like a rich white man when I drank a Starbucks coffee, let alone hold it in my grip and admire its aroma wafting under my nose. The texture of the paper cup also increases its authenticity in terms of comparison to literary figures and authors and characters like Dan Humphrey from Gossip Girls. He consumes copious amounts of dark coffee. I attribute his thirst of coffee to his hunger of writing. So I started to drink dark coffee and feel Dan Humphreyly. It is insane how I believe that the Starbucks culture is one in which writers and hipsters work on their poems and stories. If I sit myself at Starbucks with a cup of their brew I might be able to churn out a few pages of my book.
Coffee has become an icon for hipster culture if you ask me. The idea of vintage stores and vintage roasts and vintage settings for baristas instills an imaginary space where a select few male and female baristas are masters at their craft of coffee-making and blending. They scurry around with a porcelain mug (to make it more homely and not just on-the-go New York style) and mix cremes and sugars, etc. Whatever baristas do contain this romaticized quality, as long as they are not dressed in some company garb or outfit (alienation and homogenization). If you work behind the counter and you perfect an ownership of your space, you should be allowed to carry on (in a smaller store of course!) without wearing a company's logo on your chest.
But I avow to not drink coffee in a while. I want to test Joe Asad's assertion that one can stay awake by willpower, not with the help of chemicals. I feel increasingly tired day after day and I think I may be oversleeping because in the past months I've only slept a max of 5 hours. Now I'm getting 8 to 9 hours of "full" sleep. However this makes me more drowsy and it depletes my body of its energy. I end up seeking naps in the day and putting aside my responsibilities. I'm feeling lethargic, bored, and increasingly detached from my duties in the day.
1 comment:
Hi Ken, it's Rachel. You should be a writer or journalist. =) but nvm what i've said how are you?
Post a Comment