17.2.11

Why I Gave Up TV

I have abandoned my TV set. Even if it's five steps away and a turn of my revolving chair, I don't bother to turn it on. Sometimes I rationalize that I may be lazy not to turn it on (2 buttons to press--digital converter AND tv). This is a terrible reason to give up watching TV esp when it's within my reach--it's in my own room! But I gave up television because I failed to catch up with Gossip Girls. I was watching episodes on and off and I saw no rhythm in continuing the show. I also lost interest in the storyline because it didn't make much sense anymore. I also lost interest in Dan Humphrey's character whom I used to emulate to the point. I abandoned One Tree Hill a long while ago. This was also because television used to be family thing; we used to congregate as a family in the living room and watch TV shows collectively. Now, my mum and dad watch Chinese dramas/dvds in the living room, adjacent my room. I no longer have interest in joining them for drama because I am uninterested in their forms of entertainment. I don't listen to Dad's music because I am not interested in it. I am not interested in it because I have not given it a chance. When I had given it a chance, I only gave it 50% chance. I don't watch Mom's show (Nikita) because it is fruity to watch quasi-sex scenes with an Asian character on tv, with Mum. Dad's always encouraging me to explain to Mum what's happening when we watch the news and to try to teach her English. I never began to teach Mom English and I end up watching the news for my own isolated pleasure. The reason why I don't want to teach Mom english is because I feel it is really fruity and strange to teach Mom something; it seems to go against this idea of parental-hierarchy. They have always taught me but I've never taught them anything. This is irrational because all my life choices and circumstances I am positive that I have taught them something, if not vicariously, indirectly.

Mom and Dad are always shouting for me to take a shower by midnight. I always postpone my showers until 1am or even later. Mom always whips me to shower immediately after I return from outside. "Chuung lang ho yee, deem guy mmm chung ah?!" It's easy to shower, why don't you do it?! I don't go until Mum is fast asleep and then Dad gets on my case and presses me to shower because I will disturb Mum's long-awaited sleep before work in a few hours. I don't shower because I am simply not doing it, I don't even consider it, I forget it minute by minute and my mind turns to sludge -- I become led on by Facebook, Youtube, pretensions to start homework, etc. I don't want to make my Mum lose sleep and I don't want my dad to start shouting so I will resolve to shower instantly after I arrive home.

No comments: