2.2.11

Passions Make Me Sick

All this talk about following your dreams: Artificial ideologies. Aspirations for the green. Following your heart. Moving to L.A. Or staying here to wither in footworn path of starving actors. People mention passion as if it's something so near and dear to them. They talk about it as if it is food and vital fluids--what they live on; what they live off of; what they live for.

For me, I don't have a passion. I realized this when I took "breaks" from my acting and music. Wait, I switched from music to acting. Therefore music was not a passion and acting was not a passion. This phase of "finding out who I am" and "trying out new things" fits into an angsty teenage mid-lyfe crisis played up by coming-of-age literature and film. Of course I was curious, I was a young adult! I dabble in acting like a dilettante or quasi-actor. Therefore acting is not my passion. I play guitar once in a while when I'm bored or when I'm feeling down. Therefore music is not my passion, it's just a form of my art and expression. I don't spend time with art everyday therefore I don't build my lyfe around it, therefore it's not my passion. These remain as hobbies. There is no sense in attributing false meanings to a word, passion.

Passions hate hiatuses. Whenever you go on breaks or "put it aside [your passions]", you are not enjoying your passion. I'm sorry but I disagree with persons who take breaks and still call their interests their passions. In my opinion, if it was your passion, you would not have left it in the first place. You would not have doubted it. Passions burn you and draw you every second. It is painstaking for you to leave it, let alone putting the passions behind you. I'm aware that there are extenuating circumstances that throw you adrift from following your dreams and holding onto your passion, but remember it's a fight to the finish. If it's your passion you would rekindle with it twice as hard and fall for it twice enamorous.

No comments: